I just started a new morning routine this year and so far I love it!
First let me say that I have always said I am not a morning person. However, when I do get up and get going early, I feel amazing! So I decided to change my thinking and start telling myself that I love mornings and just make it happen.
Mornings are challenging for me without a plan and a purpose. So next I decided to write it out.
Before I share my plan that’s working for me, I want to also say that I may be in a different season of life than you and please, please do not compare! Your amazing morning routine may look different than mine and that’s ok.
For example, a sleep-deprived new mom’s morning routine will be completely different than a mom whose kids are all in school and she works from home. (my current season of life)
I also wrote out a very detailed plan with tasks that may seem ridiculously easy and simple because my brain needs it.
A great morning routine begins with a great night routine!
Setting myself up for success the night before has greatly increased how I feel about getting up the next morning.
Here is what I do the night before:
- Clean the kitchen after dinner (waking up to a clean kitchen is awesome!)
- Load dishwasher and turn on (my boys help with this)
- Set out exercise clothes
- Fill water bottle and put in the bathroom
- Wash face and brush teeth
- Turn off electronic devices by 10pm (working towards earlier. baby steps)
Here is my morning routine:
- Wake up at 6:30 am
- Put on exercise clothes
- Brush teeth. (seriously. it wakes you up!)
- Drink 8 oz of water (I keep it in my bathroom for the morning)
- Drink hot green matcha tea with lemon (I LOVE this one!)
- Read daily bible devotion (this with the hot tea really sets my thinking for the day!)
— I break here to get one of my boys off to school and wake up the next one. —
- Unload dishwasher
- Start load of laundry (I aim for 1 a day)
- Breakfast smoothie and vitamins with my boy before driving him to school at 8:15 am (THESE are my favorite!)
- Gym (I listen to podcasts during this time) (check out the 7 minute workout app or youtube if you need something quick or at home)
- Shower (I watch business webinars while getting ready)
- Ready to work! (I have another action plan for this too!)
I gave myself permission to be ok without perfection. If I mess up a day, I won’t let it mess up my whole week. And I may tweak it when/if I need.
So far I notice the most important tasks that really make me feel like I am setting myself up for an amazing day are the devotion (to fill and feed my soul), proper nutrition (because we moms often put that last) and exercise (it wakes up my brain and I feel supercharged!)
I love having a plan! I totally feel like a better mom with these simple tasks.
I encourage you to make a plan too. Think about what would work for you. Your morning doesn’t have to start at 6:30 like mine. Maybe it’s during naptime. Either way try it and tweak it until it motivates you. Feeds you. Energizes you. You deserve it!