Hello and welcome back to my ‘home’ here!
Today I am going to share Part 3 in my House Cleaning 101 series.
Go HERE to read part 1: My Routine
Go HERE to read part 2: My Favorite Tools
In my early cleaning business days, I used a TON of products. Like a lot! I had a different cleaner for everything. Here is a picture of what I used to use and bring to a clients’ house. I had a ton more in my cupboard too.
As you can imagine this can be a bit costly to buy so many different products.
Then, I noticed another problem. A serious problem!
I was getting headaches, fatigue and just general ill feelings every time I cleaned a client’s home.
Needless to say, it took me quite. a. while. to connect the dots and realize I was poisoning myself with these cleaners. I really did not have much experience with any other way to clean at the time and just thought there were no other options. So when I finally clued in to linking how I was feeling to the products I was using, I started researching. I found out that the products in the picture above were filled with toxic chemicals like hydroxide, phenol, ammonia and formaldehyde. Say what?!
I looked at home made cleaners and store bought ‘natural’ cleaners. I think I tried them all?! Here is what I experienced: the home made ones did NOT clean as great and as fast and easy as the toxic ones. (In a business, I needed to look at my time and cost per hour.) Many included vinegar and honestly, I did not like the smell nor did my clients. Then I learned that vinegar will erode your pipes! Can’t have that! Sooo on to the store bought ones. I found them to be expensive! Plus many are not ‘natural’ like they claim. Not good for me either.
At this point, I was seriously thinking that I would be forced to close my business. I did not want to feel sick any longer. As a cancer survivor, I also realized that environmental toxins are not something I was willing to risk with me or my family. Then one day, I found Bonnie over at House of Grace. I am so honored to say that she is now my friend and because of her sharing her stories, I took a chance with the cleaning products from Shaklee that she was offering. Sounds silly, but this single step changed my life! They are inexpensive, natural and most importantly, non-toxic.
Here is a picture of the products I switched to and currently use in my own home.
Just 3 products! They are in concentrated formulas so these last a long time.
Basic H: I use this on windows, glass, woodwork, countertops, floors, shower, tub. I also use it to clean my car, get stains out of clothes, a stain remover, removing ink or crayon, wash my dog and my produce!
Scour Off: I use this on my white sink, soap scum, oven and stove top.
Basic G: I use this disinfectant on my toilet, countertops, door knobs, shower. I also use it to take away athletes’ foot and in the laundry with soiled sheets.
So there you have it!
My 3 favorite products that save me time and money and my health.
What do you think? Have you experienced poisoning from your cleaners?